Sunday, May 24, 2009

Last Day



I am a free woman. On Friday, May 22nd, I turned in my key to the preschool and said goodbye to my life as a teacher.  I have come a long way since graduation, four years ago, when I first began tackling the task of managing three and four year-olds.  I came not knowing a single thing about children, and here I am now considering thoughts of my own.  I have gone from "Miss Tidwell" to "Mrs. Yang"...both of which names I have successfully learned to tune out when necessary.  


Through these past four years, my emotions have run the gamut, from fearing children, to falling in love with them.  It has been educational, observing our human nature on a child's level.  Adult behavior is not unlike a child's, but often we are better at masking our pouts and malice in socially acceptable ways.  I have learned how God sees our imperfect efforts and loves us anyway.  I have rediscovered how to play and imagine, while totally entering into a child's world.  I've also been reminded of how the physical touch from one hand to another can be so healing.  

Working with kids can be humbling as they don't always remember you when you're gone. But the work has long-lasting rewards.  I will miss being a teacher, but I look forward to moving on as I begin my journey as a counselor. 

1 comments:

The Garcias said...

I miss you Mrs. Yang.